- When and where do you practice? Team practice is held on Sundays at 10:00 am at San Francisco State University Cox Stadium and on Wednesdays at 6 pm at Kezar Stadium, rain or shine. There is no cost to practice with us, other than your own transportation. When SF State is not available, we practice at an alternative site. Please watch out for our communication via Google Groups or Facebook regarding the practice. Please also see Workouts page for information about location, parking, and public transportation.
- Who comes to the practice? Our club is a diverse bunch. We have sprinters, jumpers, throwers and distance runners. You will surely find someone who share the same passion and goals with you. Not sure what you might like? We will be happy to help you find what you like.
- What types of drills/trainings do you do? That depends on your events, fitness levels and goals. We all start with dynamic stretching before we move onto event-specific training, such as strides, intervals, block start, etc. Please note that University's weight-lifting facility is not available to us.
- How long is practice? Generally, Sunday practice is done by noon. Wednesday practice varies. But you are welcome to stay longer and work on your own. Many of us go to brunch together to refuel after the practice, which is a lot of fun.
- What should I bring? Just yourself dressed in layers and running shoes. The track at SF States is usually cool, so it is a good idea to dress warm. If you are a thrower, you will need to bring your own implements, please. Spikes are not necessary unless you want to practice in them. There is a bathroom and several water fountains around the track.
- What if it rains? We generally practice in the rain. If the weather poses a risk to us practicing at the track, we will communicate the cancellation via Google Group and Facebook.
- Is there cost to join SFT&FC? No, there is no cost to join the club. This is made possible by a couple of fundraising events each year to afford us with various programs and keep us in a good financial position. The Club highly encourages every member to participate in the fundraising events.
- Do I have to be a member of USATF to join SFT&FC? No, you do not have to have USATF membership to join SFT&FC.
- What competitions do you participate in? The Club host its own annual track meet, Pride Meet, so everyone is encouraged to compete there. In addition, the Club maintains a list of events that might be of interest to its members. In the past, members competed in events, such as Gay Games, Out Games, World Master's Championships, and other various local and international events.
- Do I have to compete? You do not have to compete, but it is a great way to gauge your work and meet new people.
- How can I get the uniform? Traditionally, the uniform has been produced in the year of Gay Games, and it is not available for purchase otherwise. Some members have extra, so please ask if you want to wear the uniform at the competition.
- How many women come to the practice? The Club has several female members and their participation has increased in 2011. We'd love to have more female participation, though. Tracy Johns is Vice President of the Club and would like to welcome more female runners, jumpers and throwers!
- Am I too old or too slow? No! Our club consists of members of all ages, all genders, all races and all abilities. Neither age nor ability is important to us. We encourage and support everyone to train at his or her level of comfort and ability, working towards their own personal goals. While you will practice with members of all ages, you will compete against others who are in your age group.
- Can I run both track and marathon? Absolutely! Track practice is a great way to increase both speed and endurance. You will learn about your own pace, heart rate, and lactate threshold, all of which apply to your non-track running, including marathon.
- How long have you guys been around? We have been around since 1982! Please see the About page for history and mission of the Club.
- Do you have any social events where I talk to your members? Brunch after the practice and the fundraising events are good places to meet our members. We do have other social events, so join our Google Group and/or Facebook page to stay tuned for upcoming social events.
- I am still not convinced if I should join. Talk to Craig Austin or Thomas Setser! Craig is President and Thomas is the Membership/Communications Director. They can give you more complete picture about the club and what goes on. You can get hold of them via email. Check the About page for his contact information.